The journey from civilisation to the bandit lair will take about 20 miles from Elfmeet or 10 miles from Glensor through woodlands that, although nominally claimed by the elves of Glensor, are all but wilderness.
This is more of a standard dungeon crawl. The bandits are a mixture of orcs, goblins and chaotic humans. They are led by a large, cunning goblin, advised by a chaotic goblin shaman. If Zendillia has escaped Elfmeet, she will be encountered here as well.
The entrance to the bandit lair is a cottage set into a hillside.
- 3 human bandits (AC 5, Mv 90', HD F1, hp 5, 7, 3, Att 1 sword for 1d8, Ml 8, align C, XP 10, equip. scale mail, shield, sword, 3d6 sp each).
- 2 human bandits (AC 7, Mv 120', HD T1, hp 2, 3, 1, Att 1 arrow or 1 handaxe for 1d6, Ml 7, align C, XP 10, equip. leather armour, shortbow, 10 arrows, hand axe, 3d6 sp each). They are supposed to be keeping a lookout but are only 30% likely to be on guard (roll d10, 1-3 on guard looking out the window, 4-7 asleep, 8-0 distracted by playing card & dice games). There are 6 simple beds and 4 chairs scattered around the hallway.
If there is fighting in area 1, they will try to use their thief abilities. Check morale - if they hold steady they will try to backstab the PCs as they
- empty apart from simple furniture. Any surviving bandits from the encounters during the journey to Firebright Keep may be found here.
- 1 human sergeant (AC 4, Mv 90', HD F2, hp 10, Att 1 sword at +1 for 1d8+1 (Str 14), Ml 10, align C, XP 20, equip. chain mail, shield, sword, 16gp) . In the event of a fight in area 1, he will emerge from this room and join in.
In his room there is a good quality bed, table and chair plus a chest. The chest itself just contains clothes (human male size, worth 5gp if the PCs loot it) but it sits on top of a wobbly flagstone, which can be lifted to reveal a hole containing a leather sack. In the sack is 130gp and 540sp.
- 4 orcs (AC 6, Mv 60', HD 1, hp 4, 4, 7, 6, Att 1 weapon for 1d6 or 1 javelin for 1d6, Ml 8, align C, XP 10, equip. leather armour, shield, spear, 2 javelins, 3d6 sp each). They are contemptuous of the humans and won't help them. They will, however, attack any intruders trying to go deeper into the lair.
- 6 orcs (AC 6, Mv 60', HD 1, hp 5, 7, 2, 2, 3, 6, Att 1 weapon for 1d6, Ml 8, align C, XP 10, equip. leather armour, shield, spear, 3d6 sp each). The orcs are directly loyal to the orc leader Horvog in area 7.
This area is filthy and smells like a latrine. There are hides, pieces of clothing and ragged blankets that are used as makeshift beds.
- Horvog the Orc Leader (AC 4, Mv 60', HD 2, hp 10, Att 1 weapon for 1d6+1, Ml 8, align C, XP 20, equip chain mail, warhammer, shield). Horvog likes to tell the other orcs he is the leader in this enterprise, but really he knows the goblins are more powerful.
He has a bed, underneath which is a chest. It is unlocked, but inside is a spitting cobra (AC 7, Mv 90', HD 1, hp 4, Att 1 bite for 1d3 + poison or spit for poison, Ml 7, align N, XP 15, spit poison requires save vs poison or go blind, bite poison requires save vs poison or die in 1d10 turns) plus Horvog's wealth - 630 sp, and 4 gems (2 quartzs worth 50gp each, an amber worth 100gp and a jade worth 80gp)
- 4 goblins (AC 6, Mv 60', HD 1-1, hp 4, 2, 3, 2, Att 1 weapon for 1d6, Ml 8, align C, XP 5, equip. leather armour, shield, hand axe, 3d6 sp each).
- Grethel the Goblin Shaman (AC 6, Mv 60', HD 3 (3rd level shaman), HP 10, Att 1 weapon for 1d6+1 or 1 spell for special, Ml 10, align C, XP 65, equip. leather armour, shield +1, mace +1, spells: Cure Light Wounds, Detect Law (reverse of Detect Chaos), Hold Person).
Grethel's chamber holds his bed and chest (full of shamanic paraphenalia plus some clothes) and at the far end is a shrine to some chaotic deity, possibly an aspect of Slargor with a horned grinning skull staring down from a niche in the wall, surrounded by some sort of yellow padding. The padding is actually Yellow Mold and anyone either disturbing the skull or touching the mold will trigger it (AC always hit, Mv 0, HD 2, hp 13, Att Spores, Ml 12, align N, XP 29, spores cover 10' cubed and require save vs poison or death in 6 rounds)
- The grand chamber: Here are 10 goblins (AC 6, Mv 60', HD 1-1, hp 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, Att 1 weapon for 1d6, Ml 8, align C, XP 5, equip. leather armour, shield, hand axe, 3d6 sp each) all gathered round a large fire in the middle of the cave.
- The store room is guarded by 3 goblins (AC 6, Mv 60', HD 1-1, hp 2, 3, 7, Att 1 weapon for 1d6, Ml 8, align C, XP 5, equip. leather armour, shield, hand axe, 3d6 sp each).
There are various boxes and barrels of food, drink and equipment, much of which has been looted from the caravans that the bandits (including the goblins) have been looting.
- The prison: Here are 4 people held primarily as food, though the idea of ransom has occurred to the leaders. The prisoners are chained and shackled to the walls. The guards are 2 normal goblins (AC 6, Mv 60', HD 1-1, hp 5, 6, Att 1 weapon for 1d6, Ml 8, align C, XP 5, equip. leather armour, shield, hand axe, 3d6 sp each) plus a goblin warrior veteran (AC 5, Mv 60', HD 2d8-1, hp 9, Att 1 shortsword for 1d6, Ml 8, align C, XP 20, equip. scale mail, shield, shortsword, 21gp and keys to the prisoners shackles).
- Fritzus Asker, NM, male, align L, a merchant from Thaldion
- Delmina the Swift, Ha1, female, align L, an adventurer
- Doroggar Hardhammer, Dw1, male, align N, an adventurer, drunk in the back of a wagon when captured and of uncertain mental state
- Bullon Berion, F1, male, align N, a trader from Alvenir
- Marrgon, the Goblin Chief is a 3rd level goblin warrior (AC 4, Mv 60', HD 3d8-2, hp 14, Att 1 sword+1, dam 1d8+2, Ml 10, align C, XP 50, equip. chain mail, shield, Sword +1, key to chest).
Marrgon is the battle leader of the goblins, though in strategic matters he defers to Grethel the shaman. He is ruthless, but prefers to expend human bandits in futile attacks, keeping orcs and goblins for fights that matter. That said, he expects the orcs, including their leader Horvog (area 7) to obey him.
His chest is under his bed. It is locked (the key is around his neck). Inside is 1200gp, 2300sp and a piece of jewelry worth 500gp.
- The guests' quarters: This room is well-furnished but empty. There are maps on the walls showing nearby parts of Teiglin, especially Glensor and Bauglir. If Zendillia has escaped Elfmeet, she will be found here.
This is an opportunity to present hooks to other locations. One such place marked on the maps is called Raxxoli's Tower.
- The practice chamber. This room has 3 goblins and 2 orcs honing their weapon skills.
Goblins: (AC 6, Mv 60', HD 1-1, hp 5, 3, Att 1 weapon for 1d6, Ml 8, align C, XP 5, equip. leather armour, shield, hand axe, 3d6 sp each)
Orcs: (AC 6, Mv 60', HD 1, hp 6, 5, Att 1 spear for 1d6, or 1 javelin for 1d6, Ml 8, align C, XP 10, equip. leather armour, shield, spear, 2 javelins each, 3d6 sp each)
Around this chamber are archery targets, wooden mannequins heavily damaged, and a number of animal and human corpses hung up by ropes and chains and also used for weapon practice before being eaten.