Sunday, 22 June 2014
This follows on from the previous post, Menshallan Keep Part 1 and details the upper floor of the keep. It uses the B/X / Labyrinth Lord rules and is suitable for characters level 4-6.
The north-east corner is taken over by a band of chaos cultists while werewolves have taken the north-west corner. There is an uneasy truce between the two.
27) 4 chaos cultists - 3 Chaos Warriors (F3), 1 Chaos Cleric (C3) are guarding the stairway to the upper floor. If in trouble they will call to room 28 for reinforcements. They have a candelabra with Continual Light cast on it.
Chaos Warriors - AC 3, Mv 90', HD F3, hp 15, 12, 20, THAC0 17, Att 1 sword for 1d8+1, Ml 10, Align C, XP 50 each, Equipment: Banded Armour, Sword, Shield, Cultist Robes, 3d6gp each
Chaos Cleric - AC 3, Mv 90', HD C3, hp 12, THAC0 19, Att 1 hammer for 1d6, Ml 10, Align C, XP 65, Equipment: Banded Armour, Hammer, Shield, Cultist Robes, Unholy Symbol, 23gp
Spells: Cure Light Wounds, Rage ( + Aura of Shadows if using LL rather than B/X)
28) Empty Hallway
29) 3 chaos cultists - 2 Chaos Warriors (F3), 1 Chaos Magus (MU4) here as reinforcements if called for from room 27
Chaos Warriors - AC 3, Mv 90', HD F3, HP 12, 15, THAC0 17, Att 1 sword for 1d8+1, Ml 10, Align C, XP 50 each, Equipment: Banded Armour, Sword, Shield, Cultist Robes, 3d6gp each)
Chaos Magus - AC 8, Mv 120', HD MU4, HP 14, THAC0 18, Att 1 dagger for 1d4 or spell, Ml 9, Align C, XP 190, Equipment: Cultist Robes, 2 Daggers, 1 spellbook, 36gp
Spells: Charm Person, Shield, Mirror Image, Phantasmal Force (+ Read Magic, Detect Magic, Continual Light, Knock and Web in spell book but not memorised)
This room contains a bed, a lantern with Continual Light cast on it and table for the magus - it is his home since he has been displaced by the nagpa in room 35. He would dearly love to get his hands on the nagpa's spell book and dispose of his inhuman rival. Underneath the mattress and pillow is a sack with 12 gems worth 1940gp (2 zircons worth 60gp + 50gp, 1 amethyst worth 100gp, 1 pearl worth 100gp, 2 topazes worth 200gp + 250gp, 4 aquamarines worth 250gp, 300gp, 300gp, 330gp) plus the magus' spell book.
30) 6 chaos cultists (5x F3, 1 C3). The chaos warriors are resting and do not have their armour on. There are 10 beds around this room plus a table and 6 chairs and a candelabra with Continual Light cast on it. If the cultists are surprised or if for some reason they do not recognise the PCs as a threat, they will be sat around the table playing a game of dice and cards (called "Papers and Paychecks").
Chaos Warriors - AC 8, Mv 120', HD F3, HP 13, 13, 20, 12, 9, THAC0 17, Att 1 sword for 1d8+1, Ml 10, Align C, XP 50 each, Equipment: Banded Armour - not worn, Sword, Shield, Cultist Robes, 3d6gp each)
Chaos Cleric - AC 3, Mv 90', HD C3, HP 8, THAC0 19, Att 1 hammer for 1d6, Ml 10, Align C, XP 65, Equipment: Banded Armour, Hammer, Shield, Cultist Robes, Unholy Symbol, 20gp
Spells: Darkness, Blood Loan (+ Hold Person if using LL rather than B/X)
31) Empty Hallway draped with banners with the symbols of two chaos gods, Slargor and Havok.
32) 1 chaos cultist leader Galliard, (C5 / Advanced Werewolf) Galliard will transform into his wolfman form when he is reduced to half HP or less. The transformation will restore him to his "werewolf hit points" of 28.
As human AC 7, Move 120', HD C5, HP 15, THAC0 16 Att 1 mace for 1d6+1 or Spell, Ml 12, Align C, Equip: Mace, unholy symbol, cultist robes, key to treasure chest
Spells: Rage, Cure Light Wounds, Hold Person, Aura of Shadows, Champion of Chaos)
As Wolfman form of werewolf: AC 5, Mv 120', HD 7, HP 28, THAC0 12, Att 2 claws/1 bite for 1d4+1/1d4+1/1d10+1. Spec Att: Infect with Lycanthropy, Spec Def: Immune to normal weapons (Silver or magic to hit), Sv F6, Ml 12, Align C, XP 1490
In a corner under a lounger Galliard uses as a bed is a locked chest. He has the key around his neck. Anyone trying to force or pick the lock without the key will trigger a poison needle trap (save at +2 vs poison or die in 1d6 turns). Inside the chest is 3300sp, 3570gp, 720pp, a Potion of Levitation, a Scroll of Protection from Elementals and a large sapphire worth 2000gp
33) Empty - storage for cultists, full of boxes of food and barrels of drink.
34) 1 displacer beast (a.k.a. phase tiger, pet of the chaos cultists) (AC 4, Mv 150', HD 6, HP 20, THAC0 14, Att 2 tentacles for 2d4/2d4, SD +2 bonus to AC & Saves, Sv F6 (+2 bonus), Ml 8, Align N, XP 570). The displacer beast will not attack anyone wearing cultist robes but will only follow and obey Galliard.
35) 1 lesser nagpa (AC 5, Mv 120', HD 6, HP 25, THAC0 14, Att 1 bite for 1d6 or spell, SA Create Flames, Darkness, Phantasmal Force all 3 x per day, SA MU6, Ml 7, Align C, XP 820, memorised spells: Charm Person, Web, Lightning Bolt (for 6d6 dam)), allied to the cultists, plus a pet hellhound (AC4, Mv 120' HD4, HP 19, THAC0 16, Att 1 bite for 1d6, SA breath for 4d6, Detect Invis 75%, Sv F4, Ml 9, Align C, XP 190)
The nagpa's lair is decorated in all sorts of arcane writings and formulae. Instead of a conventional bed, the nagpa has a raised platform that it perches on while sleeping. On this platform there is a locked chest and an apparently empty leather sack. The locked chest is actually a decoy and the lock has been jammed and the chest is full of pieces of iron and lead. The sack is a magical Bag of Holding. Inside is 2400gp, 6000sp and the nagpa's spell book (containing Read Magic, Magic Missile, Charm Person, Mirror Image, Web, Dispel Magic, Lightning Bolt and Fly).
36) Empty (corridor)
38) 2 wights dressed in the uniform of the former guards of this keepwho have been cowed by Galliard in room 32 (AC 5, Mv 90', HD 3, hp 13, 8 THAC0 17, Att 1 touch for Energy Drain, SD silver or magic weapons needed to hit, Sv F3, Ml 12, Align C, XP 110), + a box with 6 pieces of ornately engraved silverware (2 plates worth 300gp each, 2 bowls worth 400gp each, a serving dish worth 600gp and a jug worth 600gp)
40) 1 ochre jelly (AC 8, Mv 30', HD 5, HP 16, THAC0 15, Att 1 slam for 2d6, SD Split into smaller jellies, Sv F3, Ml 12, Align U, XP 500) trapped in here by the werewolves.
41) Empty apart from inanimate skeletons of two careless cultists caught by the ochre jelly
42) 1 rust monster patrolling the corridor (AC 2, Mv 120', HD 5, HP 22, Att 1 for special, SA rust metal weapons and armour, Sv F3, Ml 7, Align U, XP 500)
43) Trap - There is a large chalice made of silver sat on a carved stone pedestal in the middle of this room. There are two traps in this room. Firstly a crossbow trap (Att 2 bolts, THAC0 12, Dam 1d8/1d8) aimed at the door. Secondly the chalice sits on an Explosive Rune - anyone looking at the rune under the chalice detonates it, causing 6d4+6 dam, save vs spells for half damage except for the person triggering it. The chalice itself is nonmagical and worth 400gp (part of the silverware set in room 38).
44) 4 Dire Wolves, kept as pets by the werewolves. They are hungry and will attack anyone not a werewolf (AC 6, Mv 150', HD 4+1, HP 12, 19, 22, 17, THAC0 15, Att 1 bite for 2d4, Sv F2, Ml 8, Align U, XP 140)
45) 1 advanced werewolf (5 HD) - initially appears as a muscular barbarian. He will transform into a wolfman as soon as he senses danger.
As wolfman - AC 5, Mv 120', HD 5, hp 27, THAC0 15, Att 2 claws/1 bite for 1d4/1d4/2d4, SA Infect with lycanthropy, SD Silver or magic weapons to hit, Sv F5, Ml 8, Align C, XP 500
His "bed" consists of 6 fur blankets each worth 200gp (made of giant weasel pelts, properly tanned and made) and upright against the wall are 3 rolls of silk, each worth 400gp. In a sack under the pile of furs is 1600gp + 240pp
46) 3 normal Werewolves (AC 5, Mv 180', HD 4, HP 28, 16, 18, THAC0 16, Att 1 bite for 2d4, SA Infect with Lycanthropy, SD Silver or magic weapons to hit, Sv F4, Ml 8, Align C, XP 190). As normal werewolves, they do not have a wolfman form, and just transform into large wolves.
48) 4 normal werewolves (AC 5, Mv 180', HD 4, HP 15, 20, 16, 22, THAC0 16, Att 1 bite for 2d4, SA Infect with Lycanthropy, SD Silver or magic weapons to hit, Sv F4, Ml 8, Align C, XP 190)
49) Trap -Contains a cloud of Insanity Gas - anyone entering must save vs poison or act as if under a confusion spell for 1 hour (roll for the effects of the Confusion spell every 1 turn/10 mins)
50) Trick - Illusion of 2 rust monsters running around on the floor. The illusion is not sophisticated enough for the illusory rust monsters to respond to the PCs entering - they appear to just keep running around.
51) 4 chaos warriors (3x F3, 1x F4) are stationed here. Their main task is to guard against werewolf attacks. They have a table, 4 chairs and a lantern with Continual Light cast on it.
Chaos Warriors - AC 4, Mv 90', HD F3, HP 10, 15, 10, THAC0 17, Att 1 sword for 1d8+1 or Silver Dagger for 1d4+1 Ml 10, Align C, XP 50 each, Equipment: Banded Armour, Sword, Shield, Cultist Robes, Silver Daggers, 3d6gp each).
Chaos Sergeant - AC 2, Mv 60', HD F4, hp 19, THAC0 15, Att 1 sword for 1d8+2, Ml 10, Align C, XP 135, equip: Plate mail, Shield, Sword +1, +2 vs Lycanthropes (makes humming noise when lycanthropes are within 30')
XP count: #27 215xp, #29 390xp, #30 365xp, #31 1490xp, #34 570xp, #35 1010xp, #38 220xp, #40 500xp, #42 500xp, #44 560xp, #45 500xp, #46 420xp, #48 760xp, #51 285xp
total = 7650
Menshallan Keep was an outpost of the Toutus Empire far to the north in the Walrus Freehold.along the coastline of the Twisted Hills. (It is not marked on the map - use your intuition to find it). It is abandoned by humans, but not ruined - during the Wars between the Empires, the Toutus Empire just withdrew all the troops and staff to fight elsewhere, and then the empire collapsed. The Keep still stands.
The keep is in a concentric pattern, with four square corner towers connected by four thick "corridors" and a courtyard with a pond in the middle.
The two main levels are shown here, though any enterprising DM could add as many extra levels as they want. Note the stairs going down from the ground floor in room 13 - is that just cellars or is there more under the keep than on the surface?
The surface levels are intended for a party of levels 3-5. At least one magic weapon is recommended.
Menshallan Keep Ground Level
- The Entrance Passageway: The double doors at each end are hanging off their hinges.
- Hallway - empty apart from a pile of animal bones (previous meals of the ogres).
- Crossbow Trap aimed at the doorway. Att 2 bolts, THAC0 12, Dam 1d8/1d8
- Armoury - all usable stuff has ben looted. In the corner are two Rhagodessas (AC 5, Mv 150', HD 4+2, hp 13, 24, THAC0 15, Att 1 leg/1 bite for 0/2d8, leg hit grips and allows automatic bite, Sv F2, Ml 9, Align unaligned, XP 215 each) that will attack any intruders.
- Armoury - Most usable stuff has been looted but 2 suits of human-sized scale mail & 10 spears remain.
- 2 ogres (AC 5, Mv 90', HD 4+1, hp 15, 16, THAC0 15, Att 1 club for 1d10, Sv F4, Ml 10, Align C, XP 140 each) + 2 juvenile ogres (AC 6, Mv 90', HD 2+1, hp 7, 5, THAC0 17, Att 1 club for 1d8, Sv F2, Ml 8, Align C, XP 35 each)
- Hunks of butchered meat hanging from the ceiling. The meat is mostly livestock and wild deer, but one or two pieces look disturbingly human.
- 3 ogres (AC 5, Mv 90', HD 4+1, hp 11, 24, 17, THAC0 15, Att 1 club for 1d10, Sv F4, Ml 10, Align C, XP 140 each)
- A dead dwarf - used as part trophy, part toy by the ogres.
- 1 ogre leader (AC 4, Mv 90', HD 6+2, hp 37, THAC0 12, Att 1 battle axe for 1d8+3, Sv F6, Ml 11, Align C, XP 380) wielding a battle axe +1 for 1d8+3 damage (+1 magic bonus, +2 for ogre strength). He has a chest in the corner with 60 ingots worth 100sp each, 21,000sp, 1600gp and 420pp.
- 1 wight (AC 5, Mv 90', HD 3, hp 13 THAC0 17, Att 1 touch for Energy Drain, SD silver or magic weapons needed to hit, Sv F3, Ml 12, Align C, XP 110)
- 3 shadows (AC7, Mv 90', HD 2+2, hp 12, 9, 10, THAC0 17 Att 1 touch for 1d4 + drain 1 strength, SD Magic weapon needed to hit, Surprise on 1-5 on D6, Sv F2, Ml 12, Align C, XP 83). In the corner there are four large ceramic vases, 3 containing a total of 13,000sp and the last one 18 gems (all citrines) worth 50gp each and 2 scrolls (one is a Scroll of Protection against Elementals, the other has the Magic User spells Web, Levitate and Dispel Magic)
- 1 animated iron statue (AC 2, Mv 30', HD 4, hp 26, THAC0 16, Att 2 swords for 1d8/1d8, SD nonmagical metal weapons stick to statue, Sv F4, Ml 11, Align Unaligned, XP 190) crafted to appear as a soldier encased in full plate armour wielding two swords. The statue will not attack immediately unless to defend itself. Scrawled in chalk on one of the walls are three commands: En Garde!, Hither! and As You Were!
En Garde! will cause the statue to attack
Hither! will cause the statue to move in the direction of the person giving the command.
As You Were! will cause the statue to cease fighting and return to this room.
- Former training room. 3 animated swords attack, 1 is a sword +1 +2 vs spellcasters and will attack any mage, cleric or other spellcaster. Dispel Magic will de-animate the swords. They attack with THAC0 18 and do 1d8 damage, except for the magical sword which of course has THAC0 17 and does 1d8+1 damage, except against spellcasters such as clerics, magic users and elf spellblades. The swords cannot be defeated by conventional means, but they, like other weapons, will be stuck if they damage the animated iron statue in room 15. They will not leave this room, so characters can retreat without the swords following.
- Dining hall with long tables and benches. There are two wax animated statues (AC 9, Mv 90', HD 3, hp 10, 11, THAC0 17, Att 1 weapon for 1d6, Sv T3, Ml 12, Align U, XP 65) attending the tables in an endless cycle - one lays the table places and the other clears them away. The statues appear to be man-servants in peasant clothes, with hand axes hanging from their belts. If interrupted or the crockery or cutlery is stolen or destroyed the wax animated statues attack the offenders.
- Corridor - appears normal but entering the southern half triggers blinding gas (save vs poison or be blind for 1d6 hours) and a magic mouth spell that shouts out "Intruders!" repeatedly. Intelligent inhabitants of the keep have marked the boundary between the safe part and the trapped part with two upturned buckets sitting on the floor of the passage (in between the doors to rooms 21 and 22)
- Central Courtyard. The pond here is murky but contains nothing of interest except scummy water and mud.
- 1 Gelatinous Cube (AC 8, Mv 60', HD 4, hp 24 THAC0 16, Att 1 slam for 2d4 + paralysis, SD surprise on 1-4 on D6, Sv F2, Ml 12, Align U, XP 135) + gems suspended in it.
- 1 Wight (AC 5, Mv 90', HD 3, hp 9 THAC0 17, Att 1 touch for Energy Drain, SD silver or magic weapons needed to hit, Sv F3, Ml 12, Align C, XP 110) plus 3 Ogre zombies (AC 8, Mv 60', HD 5+1, hp 31, 18, 20, THAC0 14, Att 1 club for 1d10, always attacks last, Ml 12, Align C, XP 260), guarding a chest with 2100gp, 4 pieces of jewelry worth 400gp each and 210pp and a Mace +1.
- Empty. Former kitchen, with sink and stoves and tables.
- Alchemical Lab with warning on the door in Elvish. Inside there are many pieces of salvageable alchemy equipment (total 160gp worth but bulky and fragile) and ingredients, plus 32 different unlabeled jars and vials with various contents such as magic potions, acids, urine specimens, poison, squid sepia and the like. The DM is invited to be creative and sadistic should the PCs start experimenting....