Sunday, 22 June 2014
Menshallan Keep part 2
This follows on from the previous post, Menshallan Keep Part 1 and details the upper floor of the keep. It uses the B/X / Labyrinth Lord rules and is suitable for characters level 4-6.
The north-east corner is taken over by a band of chaos cultists while werewolves have taken the north-west corner. There is an uneasy truce between the two.
27) 4 chaos cultists - 3 Chaos Warriors (F3), 1 Chaos Cleric (C3) are guarding the stairway to the upper floor. If in trouble they will call to room 28 for reinforcements. They have a candelabra with Continual Light cast on it.
Chaos Warriors - AC 3, Mv 90', HD F3, hp 15, 12, 20, THAC0 17, Att 1 sword for 1d8+1, Ml 10, Align C, XP 50 each, Equipment: Banded Armour, Sword, Shield, Cultist Robes, 3d6gp each
Chaos Cleric - AC 3, Mv 90', HD C3, hp 12, THAC0 19, Att 1 hammer for 1d6, Ml 10, Align C, XP 65, Equipment: Banded Armour, Hammer, Shield, Cultist Robes, Unholy Symbol, 23gp
Spells: Cure Light Wounds, Rage ( + Aura of Shadows if using LL rather than B/X)
28) Empty Hallway
29) 3 chaos cultists - 2 Chaos Warriors (F3), 1 Chaos Magus (MU4) here as reinforcements if called for from room 27
Chaos Warriors - AC 3, Mv 90', HD F3, HP 12, 15, THAC0 17, Att 1 sword for 1d8+1, Ml 10, Align C, XP 50 each, Equipment: Banded Armour, Sword, Shield, Cultist Robes, 3d6gp each)
Chaos Magus - AC 8, Mv 120', HD MU4, HP 14, THAC0 18, Att 1 dagger for 1d4 or spell, Ml 9, Align C, XP 190, Equipment: Cultist Robes, 2 Daggers, 1 spellbook, 36gp
Spells: Charm Person, Shield, Mirror Image, Phantasmal Force (+ Read Magic, Detect Magic, Continual Light, Knock and Web in spell book but not memorised)
This room contains a bed, a lantern with Continual Light cast on it and table for the magus - it is his home since he has been displaced by the nagpa in room 35. He would dearly love to get his hands on the nagpa's spell book and dispose of his inhuman rival. Underneath the mattress and pillow is a sack with 12 gems worth 1940gp (2 zircons worth 60gp + 50gp, 1 amethyst worth 100gp, 1 pearl worth 100gp, 2 topazes worth 200gp + 250gp, 4 aquamarines worth 250gp, 300gp, 300gp, 330gp) plus the magus' spell book.
30) 6 chaos cultists (5x F3, 1 C3). The chaos warriors are resting and do not have their armour on. There are 10 beds around this room plus a table and 6 chairs and a candelabra with Continual Light cast on it. If the cultists are surprised or if for some reason they do not recognise the PCs as a threat, they will be sat around the table playing a game of dice and cards (called "Papers and Paychecks").
Chaos Warriors - AC 8, Mv 120', HD F3, HP 13, 13, 20, 12, 9, THAC0 17, Att 1 sword for 1d8+1, Ml 10, Align C, XP 50 each, Equipment: Banded Armour - not worn, Sword, Shield, Cultist Robes, 3d6gp each)
Chaos Cleric - AC 3, Mv 90', HD C3, HP 8, THAC0 19, Att 1 hammer for 1d6, Ml 10, Align C, XP 65, Equipment: Banded Armour, Hammer, Shield, Cultist Robes, Unholy Symbol, 20gp
Spells: Darkness, Blood Loan (+ Hold Person if using LL rather than B/X)
31) Empty Hallway draped with banners with the symbols of two chaos gods, Slargor and Havok.
32) 1 chaos cultist leader Galliard, (C5 / Advanced Werewolf) Galliard will transform into his wolfman form when he is reduced to half HP or less. The transformation will restore him to his "werewolf hit points" of 28.
As human AC 7, Move 120', HD C5, HP 15, THAC0 16 Att 1 mace for 1d6+1 or Spell, Ml 12, Align C, Equip: Mace, unholy symbol, cultist robes, key to treasure chest
Spells: Rage, Cure Light Wounds, Hold Person, Aura of Shadows, Champion of Chaos)
As Wolfman form of werewolf: AC 5, Mv 120', HD 7, HP 28, THAC0 12, Att 2 claws/1 bite for 1d4+1/1d4+1/1d10+1. Spec Att: Infect with Lycanthropy, Spec Def: Immune to normal weapons (Silver or magic to hit), Sv F6, Ml 12, Align C, XP 1490
In a corner under a lounger Galliard uses as a bed is a locked chest. He has the key around his neck. Anyone trying to force or pick the lock without the key will trigger a poison needle trap (save at +2 vs poison or die in 1d6 turns). Inside the chest is 3300sp, 3570gp, 720pp, a Potion of Levitation, a Scroll of Protection from Elementals and a large sapphire worth 2000gp
33) Empty - storage for cultists, full of boxes of food and barrels of drink.
34) 1 displacer beast (a.k.a. phase tiger, pet of the chaos cultists) (AC 4, Mv 150', HD 6, HP 20, THAC0 14, Att 2 tentacles for 2d4/2d4, SD +2 bonus to AC & Saves, Sv F6 (+2 bonus), Ml 8, Align N, XP 570). The displacer beast will not attack anyone wearing cultist robes but will only follow and obey Galliard.
35) 1 lesser nagpa (AC 5, Mv 120', HD 6, HP 25, THAC0 14, Att 1 bite for 1d6 or spell, SA Create Flames, Darkness, Phantasmal Force all 3 x per day, SA MU6, Ml 7, Align C, XP 820, memorised spells: Charm Person, Web, Lightning Bolt (for 6d6 dam)), allied to the cultists, plus a pet hellhound (AC4, Mv 120' HD4, HP 19, THAC0 16, Att 1 bite for 1d6, SA breath for 4d6, Detect Invis 75%, Sv F4, Ml 9, Align C, XP 190)
The nagpa's lair is decorated in all sorts of arcane writings and formulae. Instead of a conventional bed, the nagpa has a raised platform that it perches on while sleeping. On this platform there is a locked chest and an apparently empty leather sack. The locked chest is actually a decoy and the lock has been jammed and the chest is full of pieces of iron and lead. The sack is a magical Bag of Holding. Inside is 2400gp, 6000sp and the nagpa's spell book (containing Read Magic, Magic Missile, Charm Person, Mirror Image, Web, Dispel Magic, Lightning Bolt and Fly).
36) Empty (corridor)
38) 2 wights dressed in the uniform of the former guards of this keepwho have been cowed by Galliard in room 32 (AC 5, Mv 90', HD 3, hp 13, 8 THAC0 17, Att 1 touch for Energy Drain, SD silver or magic weapons needed to hit, Sv F3, Ml 12, Align C, XP 110), + a box with 6 pieces of ornately engraved silverware (2 plates worth 300gp each, 2 bowls worth 400gp each, a serving dish worth 600gp and a jug worth 600gp)
40) 1 ochre jelly (AC 8, Mv 30', HD 5, HP 16, THAC0 15, Att 1 slam for 2d6, SD Split into smaller jellies, Sv F3, Ml 12, Align U, XP 500) trapped in here by the werewolves.
41) Empty apart from inanimate skeletons of two careless cultists caught by the ochre jelly
42) 1 rust monster patrolling the corridor (AC 2, Mv 120', HD 5, HP 22, Att 1 for special, SA rust metal weapons and armour, Sv F3, Ml 7, Align U, XP 500)
43) Trap - There is a large chalice made of silver sat on a carved stone pedestal in the middle of this room. There are two traps in this room. Firstly a crossbow trap (Att 2 bolts, THAC0 12, Dam 1d8/1d8) aimed at the door. Secondly the chalice sits on an Explosive Rune - anyone looking at the rune under the chalice detonates it, causing 6d4+6 dam, save vs spells for half damage except for the person triggering it. The chalice itself is nonmagical and worth 400gp (part of the silverware set in room 38).
44) 4 Dire Wolves, kept as pets by the werewolves. They are hungry and will attack anyone not a werewolf (AC 6, Mv 150', HD 4+1, HP 12, 19, 22, 17, THAC0 15, Att 1 bite for 2d4, Sv F2, Ml 8, Align U, XP 140)
45) 1 advanced werewolf (5 HD) - initially appears as a muscular barbarian. He will transform into a wolfman as soon as he senses danger.
As wolfman - AC 5, Mv 120', HD 5, hp 27, THAC0 15, Att 2 claws/1 bite for 1d4/1d4/2d4, SA Infect with lycanthropy, SD Silver or magic weapons to hit, Sv F5, Ml 8, Align C, XP 500
His "bed" consists of 6 fur blankets each worth 200gp (made of giant weasel pelts, properly tanned and made) and upright against the wall are 3 rolls of silk, each worth 400gp. In a sack under the pile of furs is 1600gp + 240pp
46) 3 normal Werewolves (AC 5, Mv 180', HD 4, HP 28, 16, 18, THAC0 16, Att 1 bite for 2d4, SA Infect with Lycanthropy, SD Silver or magic weapons to hit, Sv F4, Ml 8, Align C, XP 190). As normal werewolves, they do not have a wolfman form, and just transform into large wolves.
48) 4 normal werewolves (AC 5, Mv 180', HD 4, HP 15, 20, 16, 22, THAC0 16, Att 1 bite for 2d4, SA Infect with Lycanthropy, SD Silver or magic weapons to hit, Sv F4, Ml 8, Align C, XP 190)
49) Trap -Contains a cloud of Insanity Gas - anyone entering must save vs poison or act as if under a confusion spell for 1 hour (roll for the effects of the Confusion spell every 1 turn/10 mins)
50) Trick - Illusion of 2 rust monsters running around on the floor. The illusion is not sophisticated enough for the illusory rust monsters to respond to the PCs entering - they appear to just keep running around.
51) 4 chaos warriors (3x F3, 1x F4) are stationed here. Their main task is to guard against werewolf attacks. They have a table, 4 chairs and a lantern with Continual Light cast on it.
Chaos Warriors - AC 4, Mv 90', HD F3, HP 10, 15, 10, THAC0 17, Att 1 sword for 1d8+1 or Silver Dagger for 1d4+1 Ml 10, Align C, XP 50 each, Equipment: Banded Armour, Sword, Shield, Cultist Robes, Silver Daggers, 3d6gp each).
Chaos Sergeant - AC 2, Mv 60', HD F4, hp 19, THAC0 15, Att 1 sword for 1d8+2, Ml 10, Align C, XP 135, equip: Plate mail, Shield, Sword +1, +2 vs Lycanthropes (makes humming noise when lycanthropes are within 30')
XP count: #27 215xp, #29 390xp, #30 365xp, #31 1490xp, #34 570xp, #35 1010xp, #38 220xp, #40 500xp, #42 500xp, #44 560xp, #45 500xp, #46 420xp, #48 760xp, #51 285xp
total = 7650