Sunday 12 September 2021

Expanding Mystara

I am toying with an idea but not yet committed enough.
The idea is expanding on Mystara and the Known World, both fluff and crunch. My ideas, at least at the moment, are along the lines of adding new stuff rather than changing existing stuff.

In terms of rules, I may well go back to some of the stuff I did earlier for Kaelaross. If I did go ahead with this I think I would stick with B/X. As you might have noticed from my previous posts, I have looked at 5E. It is not that I do not like it, it is simply that I am not used to it. When writing new stuff, whether it be monsters, spells, NPCs or adventures, I just go with rules that I already know.

So the next question is Why Mystara? It's relatively well known to me (along with Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms) and also for most of its publishing history it used the B/X rules whereas other published settings used AD&D or 3E/4E, so stuff associated with other editions (paladins, rangers & monks, devils and demons) is not too central to it. It is also a setting where there are plenty of fans but they don't seem so uptight about messing around with canon - the Vaults of Pandius are full of speculation and alteration.

The rough idea is for a series of adventures set in the Known World, with smaller ones being released here as posts, and larger ones perhaps as PDFs accessible via this blog. This blog would also be a good place for me to thrash out ideas and explain some of the background behind some of the adventures.  

1 comment:

  1. There's some really awesome stuff posted on Pandius. Marco Dalmonte and Agathokles come to mind.

    ReplyDelete